We generally use Torrent or dedicated download clients to download large files (movies, OS etc), so that large size files are downloaded conveniently with no impact of network failures in between.
But sometimes we start downloading some large files within Google chrome. Although Google chrome has the option of pausing and resuming the downloads but it cannot resume the broken downloads. And if the download is 90% complete and network failure occurs for some reason then chrome alerts to relaunch the download from beginning although partial downloaded file with an extension .crdownload indeed exists in the download folder.
So if you are the same point with huge .crdownload file but finding no way to resume the download then continue reading.
Note: The below method can be used to resume any broken download of any size files by any client / browser.
Wget is the tool that can resume any downloaded file from anywhere at any time without any hassles. It is not only free to download but it is of very small size and easy to use (just one command).
Follow following simple steps:
- Download Wget.
- Copy this Wget file (.exe) in the same folder where your broken .crdownload file resides.
- Change the name of the broken file to original name i.e. remove the suffix (.crdownload) so that your file name is changed from yourfilename.exe.crdownload to yourfilename.exe
- Run to command prompt (type and run “cmd” on Start –> Run)
- Change folder to where your file and wget exist using cd command e.g. “cd c:\user\temp\downloads”
- You can also simple navigate windows explorer to the folder (where your wget and broken files exist) then hold <SHIFT> and mouse RIGHT CLICK and select “Open command window here”
- Now after you have the command window opened from the folder you wish, type in wget -c <url>
- url: it is the downloading link which you should copy from the chrome and paste it in place of url above. Click enter after pasting the link.
- Downloading should resume now. You should see the % of file already downloaded and remaining too.
- Close the cmd window after your file is downloaded completely.
- You are good to use the file now.