Pakistan Court Stays WC Move

Posted In Sports - By NitiN Kumar Jain On Monday, May 18th, 2009 With 0 Comments






Pin It


A Pakistani court has issued a stay order, until June 2, on the relocation of the World Cup 2011 secretariat from Lahore to India. The World Cup Organising Committee had, on April 28, taken the decision on security grounds.

The order was issued by Mohammad Younis Anees, the senior judge of a civil court, the Pakistan Cricket Board’s legal adviser Taffazul Rizvi told AFP.

The PCB’s civil case against moving the World Cup’s head office is one of a series of protests Pakistan has made against the International Cricket Council (ICC) decision late last month to move the World Cup matches scheduled in Pakistan out of the country.

The case was filed last week against the ICC, the IDI (the ICC’s commercial arm) and the World Cup central organising committee. The PCB’s rationale, Rizvi said, was that until an ICC dispute committee or the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) resolves the primary case – shifting the matches out of Pakistan – the World Cup Secretariat could not be moved out of Pakistan. “Pakistan can also claim relief on the relocation of the secretariat,” he said.

Since the case was filed, however, the PCB has sought to work out a compromise with the ICC over the issue of the World Cup matches and its chairman, Ijaz Butt, was in Sri Lanka over the weekend meeting his counterpart of the national board there.

Source: Cricinfo